Release Notes: IBM Aspera Enterprise Server and Connect Server 3.5.6 for Isilon
Product Release: Oct 2, 2015
Release Notes Update: Oct 5, 2015
IBM Aspera Connect Server 3.5.6 for Isilon provides the new features, fixes, and other changes listed below. Release 3.5.6 includes IBM Aspera Sync 3.5.6.
- Clients that are 3.4.6 or later can now use SSH to upload or download to/from a 3.5.6 server on an Azure cluster. Note, however, that top-level buckets can be reached only through SSH.
- The new move-after-transfer feature lets you move source files to a specified archive directory after they are successfully transferred. For the ascp command, the flag --move-after-transfer=archive can be used for either uploads or downloads. The equivalent control from the client GUI is called "Source Move" and has been added to the File Handling tab in the Connection Manager and the New Hot Folder configuration window. From the GUI the feature is available for uploads only.
- Support for AWS Signature V4
- Dblogger now passes the <tags> in the fasp session when logging to Console.
- Improved logging for "Access denied due to invalid authorization."
- OpenSSL updated to 1.0.1j.
- Ascp HTTP fallback now verifies server certificate.
- Trap - Swift enabled to perform with the Keystone identity service.
- Ascp parallel uploads to cloud storage.
- Node API now retrieves directory mtime.
- New aspera.conf options for SSL that can be used on both server and client:
- <ssl_protocols> to specify which SSL protocols are allowed (examples: tlsv1, sslv3)
- <ssl_ciphers> to specify SSL ciphers allowed (examples: TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA and TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA)
The server can limit what it will accept, and the client can request a certain value. If the value is not allowed by the server, the transfer session is denied.
- Expanded support in aspera.conf and ascp for preserving timestamps and creation-time on both upload and download transfers with all supported cloud storage platforms (S3, Azure, Swift, and Google). The aspera.conf file and ascp use existing options for timestamp preservation. The GUI offers an option to turn on timestamp preservation when connecting to a cloud storage endpoint.
- Aspera Sync: New parallel transfer session option --transfer-threads allows a data set that will be synchronized to be split across multiple internal ascp transfer sessions. This allows maximum pipelining; for example, enabling "small files" to be deduped while large files are transferring. Syntax: --transfer-threads=n[:size] where n is the number of transfer threads (default=1), and size is the transfer threads' maximum file size.
- Aspera Sync: New option for "LZ" compression. Syntax: --compression=mode, where mode is zlib or none (default=none).
- Aspera Sync: Improved to support Windows applications that concurrently access files being sync'ed. This avoids sharing violations such as files open in multiple Microsoft Office applications.
- Support for Keystone identity service with Swift, thereby allowing transfers to HP Cloud.
- Verified ascp command-line support for cloud storage sources and destinations as URIs.
- Added delete capabilities to cloud storage benchmarking tool, axcloudcp.
- A new ascp command-line option --apply-local-docroot option is equivalent to setting the environment variable ASPERA_SCP_DOCROOT.
- New asperatrapd feature allows users to disable the creation of directories for cloud transfers, i.e. disable creation of zero-byte files denoting directories.
- New server-side configuration options for symbolic link handling, including allowing/disallowing link creation, copying, and following. Previously these options could only be set on the client side. For details, see "Server-Side Symbolic Link Handling" in the admin guide.
- The save-before-overwrite feature (introduced 3.4.6) has been extended to take precedence over file_system/overwrite.
- Improved error reporting for mysql operations in asperacentral.
- More error logging from the pre-post processing script.
- Finalized support for the Azure external token service.
- Email notification sends are now logged.
- Added support for Azure external token service.
- ascp command-line transfers using source and destination URIs.
- ascmd now provides a “cancel” command.
- New options for deleting a file or a directory with axcloudcp.
- New aspera.conf option <enable_sslv2> to allow SSL v2 to be enabled/disabled. Default is “true”.
- The async inode-format option hasl been discontinued.
- The --apply-local-docroot option has been added to the ascp command.
- New capability for parallel uploads to S3 using the ascp option -C[1..N]. A new wrapper utility ascppar transparently initiates concurrent parallel transfers of a set of files or directories to S3. This is useful for maximizing speed on multicore machines (for example).
- Multithreaded reads and writes now work for a3send/a3recv.
- New --chunk-limit option for use with a3.
- The ascp -save-before-overwrite takes precedence over <file_system/overwrite> set to deny.
- Strict token authorization when using an Aspera web public key.
- Checksums, when enabled, are now logged. Modification time (mtime) is also now logged.
- With uploads to Limelight, modification time can now be preserved (but not access time or creation time).
- Support for the SSL cipher RC4, also known as ARC4 and ARCFOUR, has been disabled in the Aspera build of OpenSSL.
- ES 3.5.5 includes the 1.0.1m version of OpenSSL. This OpenSSL update addresses several security issues outlined at http://www.openssl.org/news/secadv_20150108.txt and http://openssl.org/news/secadv_20150319.txt.
- Aspera Sync: The inode-format option has been discontinued in favor of managing all file path references in the async snapshot by pathname (to avoid issues with unstable inodes).
- The aspera.conf settings <preserve_mac_xattr> and <preserve_mac_xattr_storage> are no longer supported. If they are found in aspera.conf, they are rejected with an explicit warning message. The feature has been removed from ascp 3.5 and has been replaced with the async aspera.conf settings and command-line options for preserving xattrs and ACLs. For details, see the Aspera Sync User Guide 1.5.6 or later.
- Software and documentation are now in compliance with IBM naming conventions, copyright notices, and trademark notices.
ISSUES FIXED IN THIS RELEASE
#32138 - The asperanoded leaves defunct sh process when starting redis.
#32094 - Crash in asperanoded 3.5.5 when reading preferences. Server is hosted on Amazon Web Services.
#31744 - Connect Web UI is not displaying the correct timestamp for files.
#31418 - Sync in Drive freezes when Drive is used with ES 3.5.5. Activity > Sync shows an empty progress bar. Folders are created but no files are transferred, regardless of whether the sync is push, pull, or bi-directional.
#31053 - Bad defaults for the new transfer server SQLite database.
#30612 - Disable support for RC4 in our 3rd-party build of OpenSSL.
#30595 - Source base breaks with some server-side docroot configurations and filelist transfers.
#30068 - Source file not archived when uploaded from UNC path.
#29720 - Duplicate folders listed by node
#29415 - For Limelight, multipart "success" has to be polled after completion.
#29314 - The hot folder feature "Send Changes Daily at" does not work.
#29222 - When using drag-and-drop to transfer a 64+ MB file to a different folder, only the file manifest moves.
#29145 - The ascp bandwidth measurement is not displayed on the local client.
#29025 - For files in S3, async hangs when a filename contains special characters, such as the space character or double quotation mark (").
#28747 - Connect Server security: Encryption over HTTP is not enforced, and must be set on the server by an administrator.
#28264 - On OS X, sync fails when the transfer rate is changed through Console.
#28244 - Connect Server: click-jacking (Cross Site Request Forgery) vulnerability.
#28036 - Async bidi -C: When renamed, a Windows server-side directory is not synced.
#27994 - For Akamai storage, the rename option is disabled.
#27956 - After a Drive sync, files moved into the local sync directory are reported as conflict files and are not uploaded to the remote.
27940 - Details > Files tab doesn't show files being transferred when you resume a stopped transfer.
#27907 - Windows Connect Server UI tags error.
#27677 - Long pathnames can cause crashes.
#27664 - Transferring a small number of files totalling over 100 GB causes high CPU usage (~100%).
#27631 - EnableSortByName is broken in 3.4.6.
#27464 - GUI memory leaks can occur with transfers of large set of files.
#27462 - Console reports inconsistent transfer size when symlinks are used.
#27411 - Folder modification times are not visible in S3.
#26648 - Mac async has problems sync'ing ._ files (xattrs).
#26626 - The resume-partial-transfers feature does not work when EAR is set (download).
#26250 - Transferring with hot folders to an AMI with an S3 docroot gives an access denied error: "you have attempted to create more buckets than allowed".
#25636 - S3: 256MB chunk size causes transfers to hang for some time.
#25488 - Aspera Central: Transfer and Rename using Job API is not consistent.
#25226 - Aspera version of libssh2 does not detect EVP_aes_128_ctr correctly.
#25168 - Wrong ascp error message on trapd failure.
#24752 - Node daemon does not send HTTP code 100 (Continue).
#24430 - A .partial file remains at the destination after the source file is modified and upload is complete.
#23324 - Error/conflict mismatch with Office files.
#23097 - faspcat fails to read aspera.conf for file mode settings directory_create_mode and file_create_mode.
#23053 - Some EAR downloads (downloaded in encrypted form) fail with server noting "file modified or truncated: Disk read failed".
#22902 - UAC XML Parser blows the stack on windows if there are more than 950 tags on the same level.
#22256 - Unable to authenticate to isilon cluster docroot on 2.7.4 Windows Server with 3.3.0 client.
#20856 - Apache 2.4.4 bug. The htpasswd command given in the Connect Server guide may not work. Workaround: Provide the password on the command line, as described in the workaround given in the Connect Server guide.
#20643 - Translation of source string “Frame Address is invalid: Illegal address” is incomplete. “Illegal address” is still in English.
#19806 - Faulty ascp (putty) ssh-agent interaction.
#19298 - 3.1 Client to 2.6 server fails (session stats) although session status=success.
#18216 - Ascp is logging up to 99 messages/second of the type “Log queue: 100 GB already queued, delay queuing more”.
#18021 - asperahttpd does not support certificate chain file.
#17386 - Group docroot inheritance does not work (related to asperanoded).
#16971 - In SOAP queries, ExpectedFileCount and FileCount return inconsistent values.
#16884 - Resuming a file transfer to S3 starts from the beginning of the file if the destination file already exists.
#16209 - On the Details tab in Point-to-Point on Windows (in Korea), the GUI shows negative number for file size/transferred.
#15897 - From the AWS S3 console, it is possible to rename a folder to have the same name as an existing file. From the desktop client GUI, the folder and file are displayed with the same name. However, if you attempt to download the folder, the file is downloaded instead. Also, uploads to the renamed folder do not complete successfully. Although it appears in the desktop client that they have completed, the uploaded files are not available at the destination.
#11890 - Configuration dialog is not internationalized.
#11889 - The filenames and content of the default mail templates are not localized.
#11268 - When HTTP fallback transfers are interrupted, Console still shows the session is running.
Isilon OneFS: 7.0 (Maverick) , 7.1
PREVIOUS RELEASE NOTES
aspera-entsrv-220.127.116.11240-isilon-maverick.tar md5: 8079c413a1c466bd86b1cc5a28398de8 sha1: 9dc2db6ca028502ec67d5947c2f0004432f7ea0b
#31658 - ES 3.5.5 install fails on Fedora 22 ("Digest mismatch"). Workaround: This can be fixed by running rpm -Uvh --nofiledigest package
#31033 - On Azure, creating a file whose name ends with a "." fails. The trailing dot is discarded. On Azure, files cannot end with a "dot" or a "/".
#30616 - On Isilon, asconfigurator fails with "no space left on device". If this occurs, restart the server so that handles are released.
#30572 - Azure produces errors when some types of UTF-8 characters are used.
#30277 - In the GUI, when a user right-clicks a hot folder transfer intiiated on another machine and then clicks Edit, nothing happens.
#30231 - If a pre-post script includes a path that contains ".." and the client is running on Windows, ascp fails with "cannot open -e pre-post command: Unknown error".
#30131 - The asperacentral server script status is not working in RH7.
#30082 - When a Source Move destination is set in the GUI, but the source file cannot be moved, no error message is displayed.
#29372 - In a Connect Server installation using an Isilon cluster for storage, some icons and checkboxes expected in the directory display are missing.
#29255 - Download from SoftLayer of a file larger than 62GB is unsuccessful. Workaround: Do not use time-stamp preservation with SoftLayer.
#29187 - For content in cloud storage, the Node API does not display all the files in the docroot directory. Workaround: Use the /files/info request to browse the docroot directory when content is in cloud-based storage.
#29172 - When using --file-list or --file-pair-list with SoftLayer, some files may not be transferred. Note: This issue is due to a defect in Swift 1.12. Correcting it depends on its correction in Swift and the Swift upgrade on SoftLayer.
#29138 - For files in S3, the node daemon does not return the correct file modification time.
#29038 - The default checksum behavior with S3 (as with any cloud storage) is "none". An existing file on S3 is considered identical to the local file when their sizes are equal. Therefore the file on S3 is not overwritten, even when the content of S3 differs from the content of the local file. Using overwrite=always does not overwrite the file.
#28820 - The following operations attempted in a Limelight directory fail or are unacceptably slow: copy/paste file, rename file, delete folder.
#28817 - The Aspera sync log entry for SYNCERROR_DELAY does not include information describing the file name and path.
#28747 - Connect Server security: Encryption over HTTP is not enforced, and must be set on the server by an administrator.
#28630 - Some transfers to Akamai NetStorage have experienced high packet loss. A fix from Akamai resolves this issue; contact your Akamai representative.
#28629 - In Enterprise Server 18.104.22.168519, asperanoded sometimes crashes.
#28384 - OS X requires "Legacy Java SE 6 runtime" (Oracle's does not work).
#28310 - Downloading a folder containing multiple large files from S3 fails to complete when using ascp -C.
#28288 - When the FIPS mode in aspera.conf is set to true, ascp fails with the error message, "ascp.exe: failed to authenticate, exiting.", without prompting the user for a password.
#27879 - always_set_home does not work if the user's home directory does not exist.
#27755 - When the network is busy, the FASP SSH session may close rather than retrying as expected, resulting in an error message, "Failed to send Close Session".
#27439 - Cannot install on Fedora due to "Missing securiy signature". Workaround: Install from the command line only, as documented.
#27425 - Cannot install on Ubuntu using the UI. The error message "The package is of bad quality." Workaround: Install from the command line only, as documented.
#27311 - Sync: An apply-local-docroot pull copies local docroot path into docroot path.
#27056 - There is no ascmd support for server-side symlink configuration, which means that the application GUI functionality is still the same as in 3.4.6. (For additional information, see the WHAT'S NEW description of new server-side configuration options for symbolic links.)
#26618 - The ascmd process does not exit properly on newer versions of SLES (SUSE Linux Enterprise Server).
#26446 - When there is excessive (> 90%) loss on a transmission channel, ascp may use an increasing number of buffers, impacting other transfer sessions and stalling the platform.
#26185 - During an upload to S3 storage, an error may result if ascp reports a successful file transfer before the transfer to S3 completes.
#25979 - The following error message may appear on Windows: "JET RUNTIME HAS DETECTED UNRECOVERABLE ERROR". The problem is caused by a mismatched DLL, which may result when an Aspera product upgrade is incomplete. To correct the problem, uninstall the Aspera product, manually delete the "bin" and "lib" directories from the Program Files Aspera installation directory, and reinstall. Another possible cause is bad system DLLs that may have been replaced by your antivirus system. To correct, uninstall the antivirus package and make sure the problem no longer occurs.
#25915 - When the sync function is set to continuous, overwriting an existing file on the initiating node may result in the deletion of the previous version of the file on the responding node. Workaround: Perform the sync manually to recreate the deleted file.
#25913 - Aspera Drive attempts to sync a file that is still uploading to Shares, resulting in a file error.
#25865 - Allowing symbolic links to be copied also allows access to locations outside the docroot.
- The option for resuming incomplete files does not work, but is still necessary to enable options for checking whether files at the source and files at the destination are the same.
- Selecting Compare File Attributes only checks whether the files are the same size.
- Selecting Compare Sparse File Checksums actually compares full checksums.
#25791 - Azure: Concurrent upload fails with the error "Data transfer stalled, timed out".
#25631 - When transferring from Windows to Mac using preserve-acls=native and remote-preserve-acls=native, ACL data is saved as xattr. Workaround: Do not use the "native" setting when transferring/syncing across platforms.
#25127 - HTTP fallback temporary files (*.haspx) are not filtered out by the Node API.
#25083 - When hot folder transfers fail due to lack of permissions, the hot folders tab gives no indication that the failures are due to insufficient permissions.
#25042 - In the server-side aspera.conf, the none option for file checksum reporting is no longer supported; only md5, sha1, and any are supported. The any option means allow the checksum format to be whichever format the client requests. On the client side, the none option is still available, as a command-line option. A setting of any on the client side results in an error with the message "ascp: unknown file checksum type any".
#24838 - Unable to upgrade to Connect Server from Enterprise Server on Windows. The Connect Server documentation says you can do this from Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs as long as IIS has been configured. However, an error message tells you to create a website in the IIS manager, even if the website already exists. Workaround: Uninstall Enterprise Server, then install Connect Server.
#24780 - Sync: both --preserve-acls and --remote-preserve-acls required for a pull.
#24671 - DB logger logs each file twice when the transfer is between a source and destination that are on the same node.
#24638 - The release notes for Enterprise Server 3.3.0 say that with the new Node API, "Support for async session set up on behalf of client". No API for this is available.
#24360 - When a user has either incoming or outgoing transfers (or both) set to deny, the server issues an internal server error when the user attempts to browse the docroot.
#24179 - In Connect Server, clicking change user in Internet Explorer brings up a login window where the username field already has the string "user_name" filled in.
#23954 - Sync: When the --preserve-acls or --preserve-xattrs option is used, async will not preserve the acl or xattr when either file acl or xattr is modified and (a) file content is unmodified or (b) file content is unmodified and the file is renamed.
#23876 - On S3, when "always overwrite" is set, files are missing at the destination.
#23791 - When faspcat forwarding is enabled, faspcat does not read aspera.conf for file permissions mode.
#23583 - Certain option values for asperacentral job submission are case-sensitive.
#23503 - Akamai: Uploads of zero-byte files appear to be successful, but no file is present at the destination.
#23434 - Node API: Files that start with "._" are not returned by the Node API browse action.
#23400 - Sync permits root directory to be synced on Linux.
#23337 - An invalid payload for Node API *load_setup does not return an error.
#23246 - Warnings are not generated about files skipped due to source base setting.
#23070 - If a transfer of several files is interrupted, the retries generate a "no such file" error for any already-transferred files.
#22998 - If the overwrite setting in the server's aspera.conf is "deny", a destination file with the same name as the transfer file is still overwritten.
#22905 - On S3, when copying a file with ascp, if a slash is appended to the destination -- for example, /path/ -- the file is renamed path/. Because of the trailing slash, it appears to be a directory, but is actually a file.
#22848 - On S3, uploading a file to a non-existent destination path, and without the -d option, creates the destination path anyway.
#22633 - Sync does not support large xattr/ResourceForks.
#22619 - In the Node API, file searches now follow symbolic links.
#22618 - The behavior of the Node API "paths" filter changed with Enterprise Server 3.4. It now returns only the directory matching the filter, not the directory's content.
#22044 - Sync: asyncadmin reports all sessions locked after the last actual running session.
#21014 - When creating a file with 'vi' during a sync, the swap file is in conflict.
#20906 - Sync fails to sync a directory after a permission issue has been fixed.
#20617 - The SOAP API does not return an error when invalid values are passed into any of a number of parameters. Instead of returning an error, a transfer is either created with a default value, or the bad value is passed to ascp where it will fail.
#20576 - Target rate must be in the range 0 -100 if TargetRateAsPercentage is "yes"; however, setting a target rate greater than 100 does not return an error. (Note that rate percentage is a deprecated feature.)
#18913 - Sync db logging: cancelled or stopped jobs are reported as "completed" in fasp sessions status.
#18659 - Searching with very long pathnames (over 520 characters) results in an "insufficient buffer space" error.
#17243 - An S3 download fails when a filename contains square brackets or a caret.
#16694 - S3 uploads do not resume if the PMTU changes.
#16390 - Unicode filenames appear incorrectly in pre/post-processing email notifications.
#13761 - If filenames contain "\" or new line, async will try to transfer but fail, causing the internal transfer queue to become full and the synchronization to stall (or hang after all the other files have completed).
#13645 - When a directory is renamed during transfer, Sync continues running and never completes.
#13450 - The -C option does not work for special storage (docroot or direct).
#12972 - A log message is no longer generated for prepost execution.
#12854 - The maximum upload size for S3 storage is limited to 625 GB.
#11550 - If preserve_attributes is set to none on the server side, when downloading a single file with the -p option, the file has an invalid atime value.
#9126 - Sync logs events at a fast rate. The log destination must have room for large log files.
#8620 - Enterprise Server for Linux fails to install if the dependency perl (CGI) is not installed. Workaround: Install perl(CGI), then rerun the Enterprise Server installation. For example, to install perl-CGI on Fedora, run yum install perl-CGI.
#8538 - If a file fails to be renamed from .partial after it transfers, the transfer is still considered successful and the session will continue (with additional files being renamed successfully). The receiver side logs an error message, but no error is logged on the sender side. Successful transfers that were not properly renamed from .partial should be manually renamed.
#8534 - IPv6 requires ascp to have the -6 option, which is currently disabled on the server side if the user is configured for aspshell.
#8495 - Hot folders do not support the root drive (for example, C:\ or D:\) as the source path. Workaround: Change the source path to point to a subdirectory.
#8412 - Backslashes in filenames is not supported.
#8351 - Failed file paths are truncated to 128 characters.
#7271 - Sending a file with ":" to Windows causes the creation of an alternate stream. In addition, when partial is enabled, the stream name will remain .partial (the rename to the final name does not work).
#6448 - When your regional and language options are set to language standards and formats that do not use "." to represent the decimal point, values are displayed inconsistently using both "." and the native character to represent the decimal point.
#5527 - The application may not respond cleanly to the file system it uses becoming full. After making more room, it may be necessary to forcibly shut it down and rebuild the snapshot database before normal operation is restored.
#5210 - In the desktop client, the File Manifest Path setting does not work with paths containing commas.
#5079 - Public keys created with 2.2.1 are not installed in the proper directory; as a result, an upgrade to 2.5 may fail to find existing keys.
#3522 - The aspera.conf.websample from Enterprise Server 2.1.3 is not converted on upgrade.
For on-line support resources for Aspera products, including raising new support tickets, please visit the Aspera Support Portal. Note that you may have an existing account if you contacted the Aspera support team in the past. Before creating a new account, first try setting a password for the email that you use to interact with us. You may also call one of our regional support centers.